On Oct 9, 2014 10:18 AM, "Ilya Ganelin" <ilgan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all – I could use some help figuring out a couple of exceptions I’ve
been getting regularly.
I have been running on a fairly large dataset (150 gigs). With smaller
datasets I don't have any issues.

My sequence of operations is as follows – unless otherwise specified, I am
not caching:
Map a 30 million row x 70 col string table to approx 30 mil x  5 string
(For read as textFile I am using 1500 partitions)

>From that, map to ((a,b), score) and reduceByKey, numPartitions = 180
Then, extract distinct values for A and distinct values for B. (I cache the
output of distinct), , numPartitions = 180
Zip with index for A and for B (to remap strings to int)
Join remapped ids with original table
This is then fed into MLLIBs ALS algorithm.

I am running with:
Spark version 1.02 with CDH5.1
numExecutors = 8, numCores = 14
Memory = 12g
MemoryFration = 0.7
KryoSerialization

My issue is that the code runs fine for a while but then will
non-deterministically crash with either file IOExceptions or the following
obscure error:

14/10/08 13:29:59 INFO TaskSetManager: Loss was due to java.io.IOException:
Filesystem closed [duplicate 10]
14/10/08 13:30:08 WARN TaskSetManager: Loss was due to
java.io.FileNotFoundException
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/cloudera/hadoop/1/yarn/nm/usercache/zjb238/appcache/application_1412717093951_0024/spark-local-20141008131827-c082/1c/shuffle_3_117_354
(No such file or directory)

Looking through the logs, I see the IOException in other places but it
appears to be non-catastrophic. The FileNotFoundException, however, is. I
have found the following stack overflow that at least seems to address the
IOException:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24038908/spark-fails-on-big-shuffle-jobs-with-java-io-ioexception-filesystem-closed
But I have not found anything useful at all with regards to the app cache
error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Ilya Ganelin