Hi Keith,

Would be helpful if you could post the error message.

Are you running Spark in Standalone mode or with YARN?

In general, the Spark Master is only used for scheduling and it should be
fine with the default setting of 512 MB RAM.

Is it actually the Spark Driver's memory that you intended to change?

*++ If in Standalone mode ++*
You're right that SPARK_DAEMON_MEMORY set the memory to allocate to the
Spark Master, Worker and even HistoryServer daemons together.

SPARK_WORKER_MEMORY is slightly confusing. In Standalone mode, it is the
amount of memory that a worker advertises as available for drivers to
launch executors. The sum of the memory used by executors spawned from a
worker cannot exceed SPARK_WORKER_MEMORY.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a way to set the memory for Master and
Worker individually, other than launching them manually. You can also try
setting the config differently on each machine's spark-env.sh file.

*++ If in YARN mode ++*
In YARN, there is no setting for SPARK_DAEMON_MEMORY. Therefore this is
only in the Standalone documentation.

Remember that in YARN mode there is no Spark Worker, instead the YARN
NodeManagers launches the Executors. And in YARN, there is no need to run a
Spark Master JVM (since the YARN ResourceManager takes care of the
scheduling).

So, with YARN use SPARK_EXECUTOR_MEMORY to set the Executor's memory. And
use SPARK_DRIVER_MEMORY to set the Driver's memory.

Just an FYI - for compatibility's sake, even in YARN mode there is a
setting for SPARK_WORKER_MEMORY, but this has been deprecated. If you do
set it, it just does the same thing as setting SPARK_EXECUTOR_MEMORY would
have done.

- Sameer