The split is something like 30 million into 2 milion partitions. The reason
that it becomes tractable is that after I perform the Cartesian on the
split data and operate on it I don't keep the full results - I actually
only keep a tiny fraction of that generated dataset - making the overall
dataset tractable ( I neglected to mention this in the first email).

The way the code is structured I have forced linear execution until this
point so at the time of execution of the split it is the only thing
happening. In terms of memory I have assigned 23gb of memory and 17gb of
heap.