What version of Spark are you using. You may be hitting a known but solved
bug where the receivers would not get stop signal and (stopGracefully =
true) would wait for a while for the receivers to stop indefinitely. Try
setting stopGracefully to false and see if it works.
This bug should have been solved in spark 1.2.1

TD