It should be noted I'm a newbie to Spark so please have patience ...

I'm trying to convert an  existing application over to spark and am running
into some "high level " questions that I can't seem to resolve. Possibly
because what I'm trying to do is not supported.

In a nutshell as I process the individual elements of an rdd I want to save
away some calculations etc that for all intensive purposes, the results fit
nicely into a hashmap structure .  I'd like to than take that hashmap and
somehow get access to it, so I can use and update it as I process element 2
. and than naturally I want it available for the remaining elements in an
rdd and even across RDD's .  In this example I mention Hashmap but it could
be any arbitrary object .  So from a broad sense I'm looking at maintaining
some state across each element of a JavaDStream.    ( The state information
can get large but I will be partitioning the dstream by hashing on a key ...
I don't think however this is relevant to the question being asked ... )

I'd like to do this while I'm transforming an RDD into another RDD as part
of a JavaDStream transform or map type operation..