So no takers regarding why spark-defaults.conf is not being picked up.

Here is another one:

If Zookeeper is configured in Spark why do we need to start a slave like
this:

spark-1.3.0-bin-hadoop2.4/sbin/start-slave.sh 1 spark://somemaster:7077

i.e. why do we need to specify the master url explicitly

Shouldn't Spark just consult with ZK and us the active master?

Or is ZK only used during failure?