I agree with Cody. Its pretty hard for any framework to provide in built
support for that since the semantics completely depends on what data store
you want to use it with. Providing interfaces does help a little, but even
with those interface, the user still has to do most of the heavy lifting;
the user has to understand what is actually going on AND implement all the
needed code to ensure unique ID, and the data are atomically updated,
according to the capability and APIs provided by the data store.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 7:45 AM, Cody Koeninger <c...@koeninger.org> wrote:

> [...]
> about very narrow use cases (i.e. outputting to a known datastore with
> known semantics and schema)
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Ashish Soni <asoni.le...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My understanding for exactly once semantics is it is handled into the
>> framework itself but it is not very clear from the documentation , I
>> believe documentation needs to be updated with a simple example so that it
>> is clear to the end user , This is very critical to decide when some one is
>> evaluating the framework and does not have enough time to validate all the
>> use cases but to relay on the documentation.
>>
>> Ashish
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 7:10 AM, bit1...@163.com <bit1...@163.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I think your observation is correct, you have to take care of these
>>> replayed data at your end,eg,each message has a unique id or something else.
>>>
>>> I am using "I think" in the above sentense, because I am not sure and I
>>> also have a related question:
>>> I am wonderring how direct stream + kakfa is implemented when the Driver
>>> is down and restarted, will it always first replay the checkpointed failed
>>> batch or will it honor Kafka's offset reset policy(auto.offset.reset). If
>>> it honors the reset policy and it is set as "smallest", then it is the at
>>> least once semantics;  if it set "largest", then it will be at most once
>>> semantics?
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>> bit1...@163.com
>>>

>>> *From:* Haopu Wang <hw...@qilinsoft.com>
>>> *Date:* 2015-06-19 18:47
>>> *To:* Enno Shioji <eshi...@gmail.com>; Tathagata Das
>>> <t...@databricks.com>
>>> *CC:* prajod.vettiyat...@wipro.com; Cody Koeninger <c...@koeninger.org>;
>>> bit1...@163.com; Jordan Pilat <jrpi...@gmail.com>; Will Briggs
>>> <wrbri...@gmail.com>; Ashish Soni <asoni.le...@gmail.com>; ayan guha
>>> <guha.a...@gmail.com>; user@spark.apache.org; Sateesh Kavuri
>>> <sateesh.kav...@gmail.com>; Spark Enthusiast <sparkenthusi...@yahoo.in>;
>>> Sabarish Sasidharan <sabarish.sasidha...@manthan.com>
>>> *Subject:* RE: RE: Spark or Storm
>>>
>>> My question is not directly related: about the "exactly-once semantic",
>>> the document (copied below) said spark streaming gives exactly-once
>>> semantic, but actually from my test result, with check-point enabled, the
>>> application always re-process the files in last batch after gracefully
>>> restart.
>>>

>>> ======
>>> *Semantics of Received Data*
>>>
>>> Different input sources provide different guarantees, ranging from *at-least
>>> once* to *exactly once*. Read for more details.
>>> *With Files*
>>>
>>> If all of the input data is already present in a fault-tolerant files
>>> system like HDFS, Spark Streaming can always recover from any failure and
>>> process all the data. This gives *exactly-once* semantics, that all the
>>> data will be processed exactly once no matter what fails.

>>> Best