I had a workaround for exactly the same scenario
http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/SparkStreaming-Workaround-for-BlockNotFound-Exceptions-td12096.html

Apart from that, if you are using this consumer
https://github.com/dibbhatt/kafka-spark-consumer it also has a built-in
rate limiting, Also in Spark 1.5.0 they have a rate limiting/back-pressure
(haven't tested it on production though).

Thanks
Best Regards