Not sure what you mean by "no documentation regarding ways to achieve
effective communication between the 2", but the docs on integrating with
kafka are at
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-kafka-integration.html

As far as custom partitioners go, Learning Spark from O'Reilly has a good
section on partitioning, or you can grep the spark code for "extends
Partitioner" to see examples