Looks like you didn't have zinc running.

Take a look at install_zinc() in build/mvn, around line 83.
You can use build/mvn instead of running mvn directly.

I normally use the following command line:

bin/mvn clean -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.4
-Dhadoop.version=2.7.0 package -DskipTests

After one full build, you should be able to build MLlib module alone.

Cheers