With EMR supporting Spark, I don't see much reason to use the spark-ec2
script unless it is important for you to be able to launch clusters using
the bleeding edge version of Spark. EMR does seem to do a pretty decent job
of keeping up to date - the latest version (4.3.0) supports the latest
Spark version (1.6.0).

So I'd flip the question around and ask: is there any reason to continue
using the spark-ec2 script rather than EMR?