Hi Nick,

Thanks for the feedback and the pointers. I tried coalescing to fewer
partitions and improved the situation dramatically. As you suggested, it is
communication overhead dominating the overall runtime.

The training run I mentioned originally had 900 partitions. Each tree
aggregation has two stages, one for the original partitions, and then one
with the aggregation into a smaller number (at 900 partitions the second
stage was 30). The first tree aggregation job (the longer one) uses the
MultivariateOnlineSummarizer you mentioned, while the subsequent
aggregation jobs use LogisticAggregator (similar problem, though smaller).

I've run some tests with fewer partitions on a very similar data set. 400
partitions took 8 hours, 100 partitions took 4 hours, and 10 partitions
took 1.4 hours. I put some screenshots from the Spark UI here:
http://imgur.com/a/trRJU

Still, these numbers seem oddly high. With 10 partitions it's shuffling
only some 200 MB per job, but the median "Getting Result Time" is 2.1
minutes. I would expected it to take *seconds* to transfer that data.

Anyway, the MultivariateOnlineSummarizer creates several arrays of doubles
equal to the size of the vector - arrays of course are inherently dense.
While this is only one iteration it is the longest, taking a significant
portion of the time by itself. LogisticAggregator meanwhile has fewer
arrays, but if you try to pass coefficients as anything other than a dense
vector it actually throws an error! Any idea why? Anyone know a reason
these aggregators *must* store their data densely, or is just an
implementation choice? Perhaps refactoring these classes to store data
sparsely would fix the issue.