I'm not an expert on YARN so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I
believe the Resource Manager will schedule the application to be run on the
AM of any node that has a Node Manager, depending on available resources.
So you would normally query the RM via the REST API to determine that.  You
can restrict which nodes get scheduled using this propery
spark.yarn.am.nodeLabelExpression.
See here for details
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-yarn.html