Hi Ashok,

In local mode all the processes run inside a single jvm, whereas in
standalone mode we have separate master and worker processes running in
their own jvms.

To quickly test your code from within your IDE you could probable use the
local mode. However, to get a real feel of how Spark operates I would
suggest you to have a standalone setup as well. It's just the matter
of launching a standalone cluster either manually(by starting a master and
workers by hand), or by using the launch scripts provided with Spark
package.

You can find more on this *here*
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-standalone.html>.

HTH