Thanks Jonathan for your points

I am aware of the fact yarn-client and yarn-cluster are both depreciated
(still work in 1.6.1), hence the new nomenclature.

Bear in mind this is what I stated in my notes:

"YARN Cluster Mode, the Spark driver runs inside an application master
process which is managed by YARN on the cluster, and the client can go away
after initiating the application. This is invoked with –master yarn
and --deploy-mode
cluster
-

YARN Client Mode, the driver runs in the client process, and the
application master is only used for requesting resources from YARN.
-

-

Unlike Spark standalone mode, in which the master’s address is specified in
the --master parameter, in YARN mode the ResourceManager’s address is
picked up from the Hadoop configuration. Thus, the --master parameter is
yarn. This is invoked with --deploy-mode client"

These are exactly from Spark document
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-yarn.html>and I quote

"There are two deploy modes that can be used to launch Spark applications
on YARN. In cluster mode, the Spark driver runs inside an application
master process which is managed by YARN on the cluster, and the client can
go away after initiating the application.

In client mode, the driver runs in the client process, and the application

<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-standalone.html> and Mesos
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-mesos.html> modes, in which
the master’s address is specified in the --master parameter, in YARN mode
the ResourceManager’s address is picked up from the Hadoop configuration.
Thus, the --master parameter is yarn."

Cheers

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *