Ryan,

Apologies for coming back so late, I created a github repo to resolve
this problem. On trying your solution for making the pool a Singleton,
I get a null pointer exception in the worker.
Do you have any other suggestions, or a simpler mechanism for handling this?

I have put all the current code which was forked from an existing git repo here:
https://github.com/nipunarora/Spark-Kafka-Writer

There does seem to be duplicate creation of Kafka Writers in every micro-batch.

Thanks
Nipun

P.S the version I shared before was writing JavaDStream<String>, the
one in the github project writes JavaDStream<Tuple2<>>