The context you use for calling SparkSQL can be used only in the driver.
Moreover, collect() works because it takes in local memory the RDD, but it
should be used only for debugging reasons(95% of the times), if all your
data fits into a single machine memory you shouldn't use Spark at all but
some normal database.
For your problem, if you still want to use SparkSQL, just use the threads,
instead if you want to use parallelize() or foreach you should avoid
calling stuff that needs to remain in the driver.