Hi Gerard, hi List,

I think what this would entail is for Source.commit to change its
funcationality. You would need to track all streams' offsets there.
Especially in the socket source, you already have a cache (haven't looked
at Kafka's implementation to closely yet), so that shouldn't be the issue,
if at start-time all streams subscribed to a source are known.
What I worry about is, that this may need an API-change, to pass a
stream-ID into commit. Since different streams can use different Triggers,
you can have any number of unforeseeable results, when multiple threads
call commit.

I'll look into that, since I am in the progress of building a TwitterSource
based on the socket source's general functionality, and due to the API
restrictions there, it's even more important for multiple streams using one
source.

What I did observe was that every query did initialize a separate source.
This won't work so well with socket, since the socket is in use, once you
try to set up a second one. It also won't work so well with Twitter, since
usually an API key is limited in how often it can be used somultaneously
(likely at 2).

An alternative to the socket source issue would be to open a new free
socket, but then the user has to figure out where the source is listening.

I second Gerard's request for additional information, and confirmation of
my theories!

Thanks,

Rick