With file stream you will have to deal with the following

   1. The file(s) must not be changed once created. So if the files are
   being continuously appended, the new data will not be read. Refer

<https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-programming-guide.html#basic-sources>
   2. The files must be created in the dataDirectory by atomically *moving*
    or *renaming* them into the data directory.

Since the latency requirements for the second job in the chain is only a
few mins, you may have to end up creating a new file every few mins

You may want to consider Kafka as your intermediary store for building a
chain/DAG of streaming jobs

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Sunita Arvind <sunitarv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your response Michael
> Will try it out.
>
> Regards
> Sunita
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM Michael Armbrust <mich...@databricks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If you use structured streaming and the file sink, you can have a
>> subsequent stream read using the file source.  This will maintain exactly
>> once processing even if there are hiccups or failures.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Sunita Arvind <sunitarv...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Spark Experts,
>>>
>>> I have a design question w.r.t Spark Streaming. I have a streaming job
>>> that consumes protocol buffer encoded real time logs from a Kafka cluster
>>> on premise. My spark application runs on EMR (aws) and persists data onto
>>> s3. Before I persist, I need to strip header and convert protobuffer to
>>> parquet (I use sparksql-scalapb to convert from Protobuff to