When working with datasets, Spark uses spark.sql.shuffle.partitions. It
defaults to 200. Between that and the default parallelism you can control
the number of partitions (except for the initial read).

More info here:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#other-configuration-options

I have no idea why it defaults to a fixed 200 (while default parallelism
defaults to a number scaled to your number of cores), or why there are two
separate configuration properties.

--
Daniel Siegmann
Senior Software Engineer