Certainly, Scala 2.12 support precedes Java 9 support. A lot of the work is
in place already, and the last issue is dealing with how Scala closures are
now implemented quite different with lambdas / invokedynamic. This affects
the ClosureCleaner. For the interested, this is as far as I know the main
remaining issue:

Despite the odd naming, all of these versions of Java are successors to
Java 9. Supporting any of them is probably the same thing, so, the work is
still for now getting it working on Java 9.

Whereas Java has been very backwards-compatible in the past, the new module
structure is almost certain to break something in Spark or its
dependencies. Removing JAXB from the JDK alone causes issues. Getting it to
run at all on Java 9 may require changes, whereas compatibility with new
Java major releases in the past generally came for free. It'll be worth
trying to make that happen soonish. I'm guessing for Spark 3.x in first
half of next year?

But, first things first. Scala 2.12 support.