You're either doing something wrong, or talking about different logs.
I just added that to my config and ran spark-shell.

$ hdfs dfs -ls /user/spark/applicationHistory | grep
application_1522085988298_0002
-rwxrwx---   3 blah blah       9844 2018-03-26 10:54
/user/spark/applicationHistory/application_1522085988298_0002.snappy

--
Marcelo