How do you load the data? How do you write it?
I fear without a full source code it will be difficult to troubleshoot the
issue.

Which Spark version?

Use case is not yet 100% clear to me. You want to set the row with the
oldest/newest date to true? I would just use top or something similar when
processing the data.