What format are you writing the file to? Are you planning on your own custom
format, or are you planning to use standard formats like parquet?

Note that Spark can write numeric data in most standard formats. If you use
custom format instead, whoever consumes the data needs to parse your data. This
adds complexity to your and your consumer's code. You will also need to worry
about backward compatibility.

I would suggest that you explore standard formats first before you write custom
code. If you do have to write data in a custom format, udf is a good way to
serialize the data into your format