I had an issue recently with a download action not finding the
corresponding file and you might be able to help me with it. The
filename (on disk) was "Calendário" ("á" is the focus here).

I am using the following s:url (Calendário is within the variable
#answer):

                                <s:url encode="true" var="downloadUrl"
action="Filedownload">
                                        <s:param
name="answer.id">${entityId}</s:param>
                                        <s:param name="fileName"><s:property
value="%{#answer}"/></s:param>
                                </s:url>
                                <s:a theme="simple"
href="%{downloadUrl}"><s:property
value="%{#answer}"/></s:a>

If I use a plain-old <a> and s:properties I get the normal behaviour:

                                <a
href="Filedownload.action?answer.id=<s:property
value="%{#entityId}"/>&fileName=<s:property
value="%{#answer}"/>"><s:property value="%{#answer}"/></a>

Is there something missing from s:url?
I also found https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-2414 which seems
to mention something similar, but marked as solved in 2.0.x.

Cheers,

Miguel