Lukasz,

On 10/4/15 3:49 AM, Lukasz Lenart wrote:
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>> Is this the latest wisdom for accessing action properties from
>> JSPs using EL?
>>
>> https://struts.apache.org/docs/access-to-valuestack-from-jsps.html

So if my action has a "public String getItems)" method, I'd like to do
>> something as close as possible to this:
>>
>> <c:forEach var="item" items="$action.items"> </c:forEach>
>>
>> It looks like I can do this very quickly:
>>
>> <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; prefix="c" %>
>> <%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags" %> <s:set var="action"
>> value="items" /> <c:forEach var="item" value="${items}"> ...
>> </c:forEach>
>>
>> Is there something I can do to bind "action" to the actual
>> action instance?
>>
>> Or I can use the Struts 2 "iterate" tag:
>>
>> <%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags" %> <s:iterator
>> var="item" value="items"> </s:iterator>
>>
>> I realize that this is a simple example, but is there a
>> recommended technique, here? EL gives me the ability to do things
>> like print values with somewhat less code: "${fn:escapeXml(foo)}"
>> versus <s:property escapeHtml="true" value="foo" />
>>
>> In general, EL seems to be more universally understood, while the
>> s2 tags are a bit more specialized.
>>
>> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> JSTL/EL are supported out-of-the-box
>
> https://struts.apache.org/docs/can-we-use-jstl-with-the-framework.html
>

>> (After writing all of the above and experimenting, I've found
>> that I can reference ${items} in my JSP without doing anything
>> with the Struts2 tags: no <s:set> required. How is that working?
>> Does S2 export all my beans from the action (and other places?)
>> to the request attributes?).
>
> The magic happens in StrutsRequestWrapper (Struts wraps each
> request with dedicated class). The wrapper first tries to fetch the
> attribute from the original request, if not found, it will use
> ValueStack to find the value.
>
> https://github.com/apache/struts/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/ap
ache/struts2/dispatcher/StrutsRequestWrapper.java#L72-L104

Thanks

for the explanation. I'm very happy that this works... the
reference I provided at the top of my post suggests that working with
non-Struts2-provided tags could be difficult, but it hasn't been
difficult at all.

Thanks,
- -chris