(Slightly more-complete answers.)

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Paul Romero <pa...@rcom-software.com> wrote:

> One more important detail: The Android app. is not a browser.

That doesn't matter a whole lot.

> My general question is what is the best and most commonly deployed way
>>> to transfer data between a mobile Android based platform and a
>>> MySQL database on a Linux server ?

There is no "most-commonly deployed way". You could write it in pure Java,
use a framework, use NodeJS, use Rails, use Elixir/Phoenix, PHP, Perl,
whatever. Essentially endless.

> More specifically, is Struts a
>>> good choice or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Depends. Do you have a lot of Java experience? Don't already have another
Java framework deployed (e.g., SpringMVC, Play, Grails)? Have the hardware
necessary to run it at the loads you're expecting?

> Also, it would be
>>> highly desirable to address the issue of binary data.

Do you want to talk via sockets, or a web service?

> The aforementioned framework requires a "web service" to be implemented
>>> on the Linux server. My understanding is that such a "web service"
>>> executes PHP code, embedded in HTML, to perform MySQL operations, and
>>> converts MySQL responses to JSON format.

Web services can be implemented in anything.

Dave