> OK, the View does not send the message back to the user.  Instead, the
> Controller does that.
>
> So the Controller receives the HTTP message, sends it to the Handler,
the
> Handler processes it and hands it back to the Controller.  The
Controller
> passes the message to the Model, which does processing, and hands the
> message back to the Controller.  The Controller passes the message to
the
> View, which processes it, and hands the message back to the Controller.
> Lastly, the Controller passes the message back to the user's browser.
>
> Is that the sequence of events? If so, then the Handler is a piece of
the
> puzzle, at least as important as the View, and instead of MVC, it should
be
> called MVHC?
>
> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. -
> Albert Einstein

Hi,

for my taste that is too theoretical. IMO it is not clear what the
Controller is in s2.

I would describe the process like this:
- HTTP Request is passed from servlet container to s2
- s2 invokes interceptor stack which contains s2-logic and may contain
application logic
- interceptors may decide that request is not ok (e.g. user input is
invalid or user does not have permission) and invoke a View element. In
this case the action is not invoked.
- if all interceptors are happy the action is invoked. It decides which
parts of business logic shall be run (e.g. read, update, delete data, ...)
and it decides which View element shall be executed. The action may store
data returned by business logic to be accessed by View later.
- interceptors are run again, in reverse order (it is a stack) to do
optional post-processing
- View is executed to generate response.

There is always s2 code involved between these steps to do the actual
invokation of interceptors, action, View.

In my understanding the Controller is split up between interceptors and
action while the Model is split up between action and business logic.

Regards,
Christoph

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Dave Newton <davelnew...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Joseph B Cotton <cott...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > "... and they're more or less in the right order. ..."
> > >
> > > Not really.  But thank you for the nice reply.  The issue here is
that my
> > > understanding is no better with your explanation.
> > >

> > I think the disconnect is that you're viewing the S2 documentation
hoping
> > for an MVC tutorial, which this isn't. Entire books have been written
about
> > MVC. One part of "jargon" is serving as a common communication model.
The
> > description is presented as a description of S2, not MVC in general.
> >
> > It is curious that the introductory explanation for beginners is full
> > > of specialized and undefined jargon.
> > >

> > The introductory explanation of S2 is just that; not a tutorial of
MVC, for
> > which there are better, and more extensive, tutorials.
> >
> > (As an aside, note there are multiple interpretations of what "MVC"
> > actually *is*, as most web-based MVC frameworks, especially prior to
fairly
> > recently, are quite a bit different than when the pattern was first
> > identified and implemented.)
> >
> > YMMV, but I'd rather pick specialized documentation that addresses
specific
> > concerns.
> >
> > Regarding the rewrite: it's adequate as far as it goes, but misses
some
> > fairly important points (e.g., control *is* forwarded back through the
> > controller). Think of it this way: the request is always "moving
forward"
> > through the process. But it moves "back through" the controller,
because
> > that's just how filters work.
> >
> > The view layer doesn't transmit the reply message to the user (nor is
it
> > necessarily HTML). The view layer creates the output of the request,
> > whatever that happens to be. But it isn't the view layer's
responsibility
> > to get that representation back to the user.
> >
> > The "model" (an action in S2) essentially does a data transform
between the
> > request and what is required by the view layer. The view layer does a
data
> > transform between what is given to it and what is sent back to the
client.
> > (Noting that some of this may not be written by the app developer but
can
> > be hidden within the framework, e.g., automatic JSON transformation.)
> >

> > > There!!! See?  No jargon.  The jargon can be defined later, in the
> > > tutorial.
> > >

> > I'd only reiterate that there are a large number of concepts involved
in a
> > back-end framework. IMO neither a primer nor a *framework* tutorial
are the
> > place to address those concepts directly. This is why links are
provided
> > that go in to much more detail. Other people, smarter than me, have
spent a
> > lot of energy explaining the details of the concepts that S2
implements. I,
> > at least, would defer to their better grasp of both concept and
language,
> > and keep the S2 docs concise, and use jargon common to the field.
Again,