Hi Nicola,
  A few things might be useful to help track down the error, in general
specifics are always helpful, (1) what version of Struts were you using
when it worked? (2) What's the full stack trace (often the "caused by "
part is super useful (3) pardon the obvious question, but are you running
any other Servlets/Contexts in this instance of Tomcat? (4) and lastly, how
did you modify the web.xml?

- adam