==////==

> Has anyone successfully setup IBM WTP with Tomcat 5 under
> Eclipse 3.01?
> Every time I go to fire the server off it fails and says
> there was a problem in thread main.  I can launch Tomcat just
> fine from the command prompt or as a service :-|
> My guess is that it's doing something wrong in trying to
> launch Tomcat (duh!), but I can't find a confuration
> parameter that's incorrect and I can't find any other handle
> by which to control things or even tell which end it thinks is up.
> Anyone experienced / solved this?

==////==

0) Look under Eclipse menu Windows->Preferences , see if you
can fine the tabbed pane for the plug-in that launching
the application / web server.

1) What does WTP stand for?

2) Have you looked at the Sysdeo Eclipse Plug-in?
This can launch Tomcat 3,4,5 fine.

3) Eclipse and Big Project are notorious for out of memory errors.
Under windows XP you need configure the Shortcut for
``C:\opt\eclipse\Eclipse.exe'' and add something like
`` --vmargs -Xss32m -Xmx256m '. Keep the stack size low
for lots of threads, and increase the heap space as proportional
to 1/3 to 1/2 of RAM on your PC (for big projects 2000 classes or more)

The same advice might apply to another Java programs you
launch under the control of Eclipse, ie Debugging or Running apps,
JUnit tests, or launching web / app servers if they do not add
configuration for their own memory requirements.

--
Peter Pilgrim
Operations/IT - Credit Suisse First Boston,