The standard examples work fine in Struts applications, such as

* http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/08/06/webform.html?page=last

In the form, just be sure to name the attributes j_username and
j_password. The container does the rest.  (But some of the
configuration details vary between containers.)

For authentication generally, SecurityFilter
[http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/] is very popular.

You might also want to review [http://struts.apache.org/faqs/ssl.html].

HTH, Ted.