Hello,

I am confused on setting up a data source using dbcp with struts.

I am referencing this web-site:
http://linux.com.hk/docs/struts/faqs/database.html

I am using mysql and struts 1.2. The problem I have is two-fold. First I
remember hearing something about the <data-sources> being depreciated? Not sure
if I read that, or I heard it. Anyone know about this?

Secondly, I have my configuration here in my struts-config.xml and all
properties are filled out properly.
But my action class that calls this, the datasource is NULL.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Struts-config
<struts-config>

<data-sources>
<!-- configuration for commons BasicDataSource -->
<data-source type="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource">
    <set-property
      property="driverClassName"
      value="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" />
    <set-property
      property="url"
      value="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/fritest" />
    <set-property
      property="username"
      value="javauser" />
    <set-property
      property="password"
      value="javadude" />
    <set-property
      property="maxActive"
      value="10" />
    <set-property
      property="maxWait"
      value="5000" />
    <set-property
      property="defaultAutoCommit"
      value="false" />
    <set-property
      property="defaultReadOnly"
      value="false" />
    <set-property
      property="validationQuery"
      value="SELECT COUNT(*) FROM testdata" />
</data-source>
</data-sources>

now my DispatchAction class has this AND IT PRINTS NULL

??
public final class QueryDispatchAction extends DispatchAction {

  public ActionForward query(ActionMapping mapping,
                             ActionForm form,
                             HttpServletRequest request,
                             HttpServletResponse response)
    throws Exception {

    javax.sql.DataSource dataSource = null;
    java.sql.Connection myConnection = null;

    try {
      dataSource = getDataSource(request);

      if (null == dataSource) {
        System.out.println("NULL");
      } else {
        System.out.println("NOT NULL");
      }

      myConnection = dataSource.getConnection();

      // do what you wish with myConnection
    } catch (SQLException sqle) {
      getServlet().log("Connection.process", sqle);
    } finally {
      //enclose this in a finally block to make
      //sure the connection is closed
      try {
        myConnection.close();
      } catch (SQLException e) {
        getServlet().log("Connection.close", e);

Scott K Purcell | Developer | VERTIS |
555 Washington Ave. 4th Floor | St. Louis, MO 63101 |
314.588.0720 Ext:1320 | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.vertisinc.com

Vertis is the premier provider of targeted advertising, media, and
marketing services that drive consumers to marketers more effectively.