I agree, however I have worked for product companies who simply say "To
use X you MUST have javascript enabled." In fact my last company did
this. And after seeing the codebase shortly after starting there in
their services division I understood why. A choice had been made early
in the development (as in 3 or 4 versions prior to the current one) and
it dominoed. To change the product to gracefully handle people without
javascript enabled would simply have been cost prohibitive.

On the other side of the coin I have done contracts at corporations that
turn off javascript and do not allow it to be enabled at all on their
internal (workstation) machines.

It's a catch 22 almost. Js does allow some very cool things to be done,
but it is still a "security hole." Basically you are making requests
behind the users back in this case. And that is what security folks
start to freak out about. (can you tell I'm on a security consulting gig
right now? :)

The bottom line is really how hard it would be to "gracefully" fall back
to a full page refresh using "struts-ajax", which is basically what you
suggest.

Al