Here is a snippet from my initializing action before it goes to the form view:

LazyValidatorForm ppForm = (LazyValidatorForm)form;
ProtectedPersonLocal ppl = null;
ProtectedPersonDTO dto = null;
String sid = null;
sid = request.getParameter("sid");
ppl = (ProtectedPersonLocal)EJBHelper.getLocalInstance(ProtectedPersonLocalHome.JNDI_NAME);
dto = ppl.getProtectedPersonBySid(sid);
BeanUtils.copyProperties(ppForm, dto);

The values in question are java.lang.String objects. Should be basic stuff right? I stepped through the debugger, and the LazyValidatorForm object is being set correctly for the null strings from my VO; however, when it comes to displaying the form for editing, the "null" fields contain an object reference like [EMAIL PROTECTED] If I update the form with any type of text values, it'll show correctly the next time that I go to update the data. It's only happening when there are null values involved.

Hubert Rabago wrote:

Please provide more information.  How is your form configured/written?
Are there "initial" values?  What is the type of the data from which
you're copying a value?

Hubert