Bryon Lape wrote:

I am looking for good pointers on getting debug logging turned on in
Struts.  I've added debug and detail params to my web.xml file, but I
get
nothing.  Do I need log4j?  In the Struts Cookbook I've found some
things
on debugging, but it seems very complex to configure.  Is this correct?
Is getting debug logging on a comples issue?

I hope this could help you:
1. get log4j and put it together with other jars of your web project
2. create a log4j.properties file and put on the root of your web app.
3. add following lines in log4j.properties

log4j.rootLogger=error,stdout
log4j.logger.org.apache.struts=debug,struts

log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} %5p %c{1}:%L
- %m%n

log4j.appender.struts=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.struts.File=struts.log
log4j.appender.struts.MaxFileSize=1000KB
log4j.appender.struts.MaxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.struts.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.struts.layout.ConversionPattern=SRTUST: %d %5p %c{1}:%L -
%m%n

log4j.appender.struts=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.struts.Target=System.out
log4j.appender.struts.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.struts.layout.ConversionPattern=STRUTS: %d{ABSOLUTE} %5p
%c{1}:%L - %m%n

Ok, I did this, but where is the logging going?

sorry, forgot to tell you
first appender obviously writes in a file - so depends how your server
is started ...
for example if I start the server useing eclipse IDE- files are in the
the home dir of eclipse
if it started from console - in the current dir.
I still don't know how to manage the files to be written in specified
location ...
but the second appender is Console Apennder so it should appear in your
system console.

Unfortunately, Sun, in their great wisdom, made iPlanet WS 6.0 a service
on the windows platform.  No telling where it is going.

just make a file search under the path where the server is installed