I believe that Websphere 5 is not a JSP 2.0 container (Websphere 6 is).
Assuming that's true, you have to use the 1.0.x versions of the JSTL.
Version 1.1.x is used in JSP 2.0 containers.  You'll also have to make
sure the taglib uri matches the one in the TLD file in the taglib jar
(it's different between 1.0.x and 1.1.x).