Mark Lowe wrote:
Not sure if i've understood what you're after, but you can just write
to the reponse (as you would in a normal servlet) and return null for
you action forward. Your webapp configuration will do the rest from
there like with any webapp.

Yes, that's a solution. On the other hand ActionForwards are convenient to use (no need to worry about paths etc.), so I was wondering if you could do something like:

  forward.setRedirect(true); // existing method
  forward.setPermanent(true); // possible extension?

I know it is possible to implement your own ActionForward classes, but I'm not sure that would help here. Ideally the RequestProcessor would ask the ActionForward for a status code at one point...