Ok I've made some progress but now i'm stuck. What I did was have a a div tag

 <s:div id="myDivId" theme="ajax" href="%{url}" formId="frmMyForm"
          showLoadingText="false" updateFreq="5000" autoStart="false"
          startTimerListenTopics="/startTimer"
stopTimerListenTopics="/stopTimer" />

then I have select box

<s:select id="refreshEvery" onchange="updateFreq(this)" list="myList" />

then on my updateFreq function i have the following:

function updateFreq(obj) {

      if (obj.selectedIndex == 0) {
        dojo.event.topic.publish("/stopTimer");
      }
      else {
        // get Div and update frequency
        var quoteDiv = dojo.byId("quoteDetails");
        quoteDiv.updateFreq = obj.options[obj.selectedIndex].value;
        dojo.event.topic.publish("/startTimer");

Right now everything is working except the change to the updateFreq. When
the timer starts it still keeps with the 5 second interval Is it possible to
access this property and change it?