>  Hello. I am using Struts 1.3.8. The issue is not one of making the
>  Javascript work (it is working correctly), but rather preventing a
>  Struts action from being called. Is this possible given that the
>  action of a form is a Struts action?

I'm not sure if I understand you, but all you have to do is return
true or false from your JavaScript function (as you doing), and that
will prevent a web browser to submit form and send them to a www
server. And if there be no request from web browser, there be no
action called.
Please copy/paste the web page content you had got when you started your form.

Regards
--
Lukasz

http://www.linkedin.com/in/lukaszlenart