I think it is a bit confusing settings anyway,
and yes, It will be useful to know how to change this.
Good idea to describe it on wiki.
As I get, we have this properties in war file. So only the way to make it
persistent in tomcat is update deployed syncope apps?
make changes
\webapps\syncope\WEB-INF\classes\persistence.properties
and restart syncope core
Am I right?

Thank you,
Roman