Hi Elena,
the AD Connector [1] is an extension of the LDAP Connector [2] and explicitly enlists it among its dependencies [3].

Hence, the AD Connector [1] is using the LDAP protocol to connect to Active Directory instances.

I hope this clarifies.
Regards.

[1] https://github.com/Tirasa/ConnIdADBundle
[2] https://github.com/Tirasa/ConnIdLDAPBundle/