OK that was tricky but I finally found out that:
- I have to update table ACT_RU_ACTINST as well
- the UPDATE ACT_RU_EXECUTION is actually:
UPDATE ACT_RU_EXECUTION SET PROC_DEF_ID_ = 'userWorkflow:X:XXXX' WHERE
PROC_INST_ID_ = <PROC_INST>;

It seems to work like this
Sorry for the noise, best regards
Lionel