From: Mark Combellack
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:40 AM
To: d...@tuscany.apache.org ; user@tuscany.apache.org
Subject: [2.x] Survey: What is the minimum JDK version that the OASIS SCA-J
Specifications should support JDK 1.5 or JDK 1.6?

Hi,

On one of the recent OASIS SCA-J calls, there were discussions on the minimum
JDK version that the OASIS SCA-J Specification should require. Currently the
specification has an unclear statement as to whether the minimum is JDK 1.4 or
JDK 1.5. There is an open issue [1] for this to clarify this to require JDK 1.5
or above.

One issue with JDK 1.5 is that support for it is being withdrawn by Sun (i.e.
reaches End of Service Life) on 30th October 2009 [2] As a result, should the
OASIS SCA Specification require a minimum of JDK 1.6?

As Tuscany is one of the major implementers of the OASIS SCA-J Specification, I
am interested in people's opinion so the questions are as follows:

1) What is the minimum JDK version that the SCA specification should require?

a)       JDK 1.5 or above

b)       JDK 1.6 or above

c)       Other - please provide comments

2) If the SCA Specification required JDK 1.6 or above:

a)       I would be unable to continue using SCA unless it supports JDK 1.5 as
I am unable to run with JDK 1.6

b)       I would have to upgrade to JDK 1.6 for our SCA Applications but we
could do it.

c)       It would cause me no problems to use SCA with JDK 1.6

Note: The results from this survey do not directly affect the decision on which
JDK version the OASIS SCA-J specification will require. However, it may be a
useful indication of which JDK versions are used by the current users of
Tuscany.

Thanks,

Mark

[1] http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-132