Hi Jan, Carsten, and others,

First, thanks for the info.

On 3/7/2014 12:44 AM, Jan Willem Janssen wrote:
<question deleted>
The latest released version uses Jetty 7.6.13.v20130916, and the trunk
version uses Jetty 8.1.14.v20131031 (latest version that is compatible
with JDK6). It is my intention to make a release of Felix HTTP based
on Jetty 8 soon, after which I'd like to migrate to Jetty 9 for all
kinds of reasons.

<question deleted>
Some of the functionality in Felix HTTP is already based on RFC 189,
like the 'osgi.http.service.endpoints' property, but it still needs
some serious work to get all proposed functionality of RFC 189
implemented. That said, I've strong interest to keep working on
improving the current implementation towards RFC 189.

<question deleted>
In the current trunk version, the Jetty API is now exposed from the
felix.http.jetty bundle, to allow all kinds of extensions to be
written on top of the Jetty version used in Felix HTTP. This would
enable the use of websockets functionality from Jetty 9.
Note that currently there is a form of websocket-like functionality
provided by the cometd bundle. I haven't looked at it in a while, but
I believe the latest versions of cometd also work with websockets
directly...

Does this answer all of your questions?

Mostly, yes. But the one remaining: what is the plan/schedule/timing...for the work you identify above? (moving to Jetty 9, finishing rfc-189 support, exposing Jetty-based websockets impl)?

In his response to Jan's note, Carsten Ziegler said:

We're planning to provide the reference implementation for RFC 189 with

Apache Felix. So we can team up on this one.

Teaming up seems great to me...because then it doesn't put the impl burden all on one party...making it more likely (IMHO) that impls will be available sooner.

Given the following

1) I would guess that there are many others that are or will be interested in the development of HttpService. These would include either direct clients of HttpService...and/or other OSGi Service implementers that wish to depend upon new HttpService+websockets for functionality...like us. 2) The entire Eclipse Foundation community (projects and consumers of those projects) is in a similar situation (e.g. see thread at [1])...i.e. in need of an open implementation of more recent HttpService + other things (e.g. websockets).
3) Jetty is currently a project maintained/released under EF org umbrella

I would suggest that it makes sense to coordinate across organizations...i.e. OSGi, EF, Apache...and across projects/corps...i.e. Karaf, Equinox, Jetty, Adobe, Luminis, IBM... to make this happen for the OSGi-adopting community. Is such coordination possible? If so, how would/could that happen?

Thanks,

Scott

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/equinox-dev/msg07733.html