This kind of reasoning is often caused by not seeing the extremely tight
relation between the provider of an API and that API itself. There is virtually
no backward compatibility for providers, if the API changes, you need a new
provider. Separating the provider from its API therefore just creates a lot of
work and potential error cases that provide no benefit whatsoever.

The best practice I learned over time is therefore is that a provider includes
an exact copy of the API package that it is build against and both exports AND
imports it. Since OSGi packages have a globally unique name + version this
works, the framework will share one of the exported packages if possible. This
model has a number of advantages:

1) The resolver can automatically drag in implementations based on the API
2) You have significantly fewer bundles to worry about
3) You always have the right version at hand
4) bnd supports this model very well with its package include from class path
function and calculation of importing exports.

Every time I run into bundles that do not include their API I get this
desperate sinking feeling :-(

The idea that it works better with multiple providers of the same API is
nonsense since they both MUST use the identical versions of the overlapping
packages. That is, there is no backward compatibility to speak of for
providers. So substitutable imports work fine for this use case.

The only argument for separating API and implementation in two bundles is that
you do not have to refresh the client if you update an implementation. True,
but due to transitive dependencies it takes real hard work to actually achieve
this unless you have a small trivial system. And an OSGi system that can handle
the going down of any bundle is likely not very valuable since it will likely
fail. So realistically, this argument sounds nice in theory but has very little
value in practice.

Interestingly, this discussion was held early on and several times thereafter.
Initially, I was not sure, the separate API bundle did not sound so bad. Now,
15 years later I am quite convinced that the provider including the API is the
best solution in most cases.

Kind regards,

        Peter Kriens