From: Leonardo Uribe [mailto:lu4...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:04 PM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Cc: Carlson, John W.; Java Programmers List
Subject: Re: Include Form into existing JSP

Hi

Interesting points. I can answer some of them quickly:

JC >> Try developing a mostly read-only/downloads application...JSF is
overkill for that.

With JSF 2.0 you have a template framework to build views easily, just
writing html and use a couple of components for the most complex task
(facelets templating and composite component features are highly
productive creating html/css/javascript mashups). Additionally you can
provide a custom ResourceHandler to deal with special resources for
your download files.

There is a proposal for JSF 2.2 to include viewActions, like in some
other web frameworks like struts. See:

http://seamframework.org/Documentation/JSFEnhancementViewActions

It is a work in progress, so let's see what happen.

JC >> I've been thinking about using Opa http://opalang.org/

Interesting idea. Really it is difficult to compare both of them,
because JSF is a web framework built on top of Java Servlet
technology, and the other is a complete new language. I can't help in
that because I don't really know how that framework works.

JC >> Also, caching is a nightmare with JSF. .... A good application framework
JC >> would support both w/o the application developer having to build
their own
JC >> cache and refresh technology.

JSF provide some interfaces to deal with data sources. Really this
problem is more related to the technology you use to get the data
(JPA, JDBC) than from the web framework. Usually these type of
problems can be solved with good design practices.

The "refresh" problem is a complete different problem. What do you
need for that is have some kind of "window" scope. MyFaces CODI
provide a solution for that one. This is another proposal target for
JSF 2.2. Let's see what happen. It is not an easy topic after all.

JC >> The amount of overhead and memory required to run JSF is a concern.

With JSF 2.0 a new method to save the state of each view on the server
was developed (PSS). In few words it just save the "delta" or changes
on the state of the view, reducing the memory required. Other
improvements has been done in MyFaces to reduce the amount of memory
used and increase performance. Really a lot of effort has been done to
detect memory leaks and other issues, so the latest code looks very
good.  In practice, other things in your application can become a big
problem from memory, but usually the impact of the web framework used
is not a concern.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe