On 18/04/2024 15:18, Stefan Ansing wrote:
Hi Rémy, Mark,

I just want to make sure that we’re understanding each other. I can see
that the connection needs to be closed in certain conditions to prevent
request smuggling attacks. I certainly don’t want to change that behaviour.

However, I’m facing a scenario where an application is responding to a
valid request (from HTTP perspective), with a valid response using these
status codes (more specifically status codes 400 and 500).

If the request is a valid HTTP request then a 400 status doesn't seem appropriate to me.

If the server is correctly handling that request to generate the response, a 500 status doesn't seem right either.

I don’t think that in this scenario a request smuggling attack could be
executed, or am I missing something?

The main issue is if the original request is invalid HTTP there is no way to determine where the next HTTP request starts.

If there is a proxy in the mix then the risks of something going wrong tend to go up.

Mark