Good job Michael, I look forward to using the lock_jar gem in my projects.

Trejkaz, is lock_jar covering your use case?

Antoine

PS:
In the news, the talk of Yarn, the new Javascript dependency manager, and some
interesting comments on HN:
http://yehudakatz.com/2016/10/11/im-excited-to-work-on-yarn-the-new-js-package-manager-2/

<http://yehudakatz.com/2016/10/11/im-excited-to-work-on-yarn-the-new-js-package-manager-2/>
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12684980
<https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12684980>

Some interesting tidbits:
In fairness to the language and tools, this seems to be more of a cultural
problem than anything.
You can do the same kind of version range tricks in typical Java builds, for
example (Maven), but most people hardcode the values to keep builds as
deterministic as possible.
For some reason, the JS community seems to prefer just trusting that new
versions won't break anything. Its either very brave of them really (or maybe
just foolish).

I hate non-reproducible builds and semver-relaxed dep-of-the-dep issues, but,
while a broken dep fails the build for lots of people (downside), the upside of
this is that very quickly (within hours of a new dep being published) there
will be lots angry people complaining about it on GitHub, and a faulty dep will
be typically quickly rolled back / superseded with a patch. Otherwise, some
bugs might be sitting hidden for a long time.

When Maven came about, it’s biggest value-add compared to Ant or makefiles was
that it made builds reproducible.
Using version ranges makes that impossible - but using the approach that
Michael borrowed from Bundler (and is again reused by Yarn from my quick
reading) makes the resolution explicit.