Thank you Kai,

I had in fact tried both of the methods you suggested and they did not work. However, your email made me read cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/webapps/authentication/pipeline_patterns.html
again and find that as I was using
<map:act type="auth-loggedIn">
I could not get the authentication content values in the sitemap. I made the change to <map:act type="auth-protect">
and all worked.

Thanks again

Peter

If you use authentication framework all values of authentication context are
returned to the sitemap. Thus you can pass those values to your flowscript.

See:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/webapps/authentication/pipeline_patt
erns.html

Furthermore you can use the SessionContext Input Module:

<map:transform src="foo.xsl">
        <map:parameter name="role"
value="{session-context:authentication/authentication/role}"/>
        <map:parameter name="login"
value="{session-context:authentication/authentication/ID}"/>
</map:transform>

See: http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/webapps/contexts.html#N1010E

Kai