I use jetty for development. I have my web.xml in my block directory, where pom.xml file is. In my pom.xml file I define:

<plugin>
        <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-jetty-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>6.1.7</version>
        <configuration>
                <webXml>web.xml</webXml>
        </configuration>
</plugin>

Jetty uses my web.xml file and does not overwrite it.

Barbara